These are one of those funny problems faced by a lot of teachers or coaches or anyone who speaks in front of a group. When teacher or speaker says something, hoping for a response from students or an audience, and what they most often get are :
- Silence or
- Chores answer.
In fact, some teachers struggle to keep their classes quiet, while others have the exact opposite problem. We want our students to talk more, to actively participate, but despite our best efforts, we get silence.
Reasons For Them to be Silent
# Students know that you’re not just talking to them.
# Students think others will tell the answer.
# If students don’t understand what you’re asking for.
# If the questions are more of an open type.
Ways To Increase Participation
- Know Your Students By Name
- Explain What Kind Of Response You Want.
- Ask Them to Raise Hands.
- Ask Question to One Person Directly.
- Ask Everyone Write Down A Response and Then Read it out.
- Ask To Do A Think-pair-share.
- Flip your classroom to stimulate deeper discussion
- Create a gaming environment
- Create Videos For Your Online Class
- Add quizzes OR word web
Online Tools To Increase Participation
- Yt Videos
For Related videos :
Related post : Top 5 online Tools for Effective Virtual teaching